If you're anything like me, summer brings thoughts of being on a boat,
going on vacation, enjoying outdoor concerts, biking in the mountains,
and cooking out with family and friends.
Summer is full of great fun, but it's also filled with a lot of health
hazards and Blue Mountain Hospital wants to make sure that you have fun
AND stay healthy. So, we put together a list of tips and tricks for you:
1) Stay Active and Exercise: But, make sure to do it safely by exercising in the morning or late evening
when it isn't as hot. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water
while you work out and wear lightweight or light colored clothing.
2) Eat Healthy Foods: While you should always pay attention to the foods that you eat, you should
also pay attention to how you are handling your food, specifically in
the summer. Make sure to wash your hands and utensils before serving food.
If you're cooking out or enjoying a picnic, remember to wash your
fruits and veggies, keep your dairy products cold, and use a meat thermometer.
3) Keep Your Skin Safe: One of the biggest threats of the summer season is the sun! Combat those
painful sunburns by covering up. Make sure to wear light-colored long
sleeves when you can and don't forget the sunglasses and hats too.
Remember to pack, apply, and reapply sunscreen. Scope out the shadiest
spot you can find or hop in the shade every so often to keep cool and
protect your skin. Also, make sure to use chapstick to protect your lips.
4) Stay Hydrated: You should always make a point to drink water throughout the day, but
during the summer (especially the hottest days) drink more water than
you normally would to stay hydrated. You can even get creative and put
frozen fruits in your water. You could also eat foods that are high in
water content like watermelon or cucumbers.
5) Have the Bug Spray Close: Bug bites are uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. When outdoors, make
sure to have repellant nearby and wear long sleeves and long pants to
avoid exposure to those pesky bugs. When you come home, check your clothes,
body, and your pets for bites and bugs.
6) Enjoy Water Safely: Summer is prime pool, lake, beach time! Make sure to stay close to your
friends and family so that they are there for you and you are there for
them. Always wear a life jacket, even if you are confident in your swimming
skills. Double check to make sure that there are lifeguards on duty and
you could even brush up on your CPR, just in case.
7) Know your Fire Safety: Especially in our area, you need to pay special attention to fire safety.
Make sure that you know if there are any fire restrictions in the area
you live or any area you plan to visit. If you and your family are around
a fire, check on the kids frequently and teach them fire safety. AND,
please please please completely put your fires out before leaving camp
or going inside for the night.
Now that you are equipped with how to stay healthy, go be happy and enjoy